Harry Johnson Award

Dedicated to the memory of founder member Harry Johnson, the Trust celebrates and commends the best restorations of historic buildings and the best in new design within a village setting with their Harry Johnson Award.  The Trust runs the award biannually in conjunction with the Campaign to Protect Rural England.

"We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us."
Winston Churchill

2018

2018 Renovation Winner: House of Correction, Southwell

The Conservation category winner was the House of Correction, The Burgage, Southwell.  This correctional site was established in 1611.  It was replaced by an innovative prison plan in 1808 which went on to inform prison architecture at some of the countries most infamous prisons.  The former layout of the prison was used by Franklin Ellis Architects to inform an inspired site layout with the House of Correction at its’s former prominent position at the head of the site.  The scheme retained and converted the buildings which held significant positions on the former prison site.  The layout was only possible with the demolition of one of the listed buildings on the site.  The building was recorded and its removal has revealed the full facade of the House of Correction.  The house of correction building was subject to external pointing where necessary and sensitive, low-level timber clad pods were added to the ground floor.  The brick, black boarding and stone dressings provide a restricted pallet of materials and the result is an admirable example of town housing in Southwell.

2018

2018 Commended Renovation : Weir Cottages, Canalside, Beeston

Weir Cottages, Canal side, Beeston, belonging to Canal side Heritage Centre Trust, is Commended for the conservation work to these run-down cottages.  The 4 workers cottages date from 1796 and have been brought back to life as a Heritage/Arts and Education Centre in a design by Julian Owen Associates, Architects.  The derelict, overgrown property was conserved and extended using professional contractors and a dedicated team of volunteers, led in conservation training by Jason Mordan, Notts County Council. The exposed brickwork and new Yorkshire sashes provide a focal point and the attractive café and garden is now an appreciated waterside venue.

2018

2018 New Build Award: Jude Park, East Markham

The New Build Award went to a development of 8 dwellings at Jude Park, High Street, East Markham, for the imaginative high quality addition to the village based on the ‘theme of a 19th century farmstead’.  The development employs a restricted materials pallet, traditional detailing brick soldier arches in double garden wall bond walling, tumble gable brickwork on plots 5-8. The judges enjoyed the provision of retained individual garden privacy whilst providing an open nature to the layout with the careful use of black boundary railings.  

The 8 modern homes were built by a joint venture between JWT Property Developments Ltd, BMA Ltd (plots 5-8) and Millcroft Development (plots 1-4).  The whole was well proportioned and, although provided for the high-end market, is a fine example of a traditional Nottinghamshire village extension, welcomed at a time when many villages are forced to provide extra dwellings to meet the housing need.  

2018

2018 Commended New Build: Parsons Mount, Newark

The judges Commended the development of 22 Alms-houses at Parsons Mount, Newark, by Guy Taylor Associates for the St Leonard’s Hospital Trust for its innovative design in this central town position. The two-storey building uses similar materials to the previously built neighbouring block and is cleverly sited to retain the view of the church spire from Kings Road. The building provides affordable, independent living close to the town-centre and shops. A worthy example of a modern design making a positive contribution to the area.

2018

2018 Entries

Chapel on Hill, Knowle Hill, Kimberley, Nottingham. A Victorian, Grade ll Listed stone built Cemetery Chapel opened in 1883, now owned by Kimberley Parish Council, brought back into use for the Community, with help from local tradesmen and volunteers. The Chapel is now an attractive venue for funerals and civil weddings.

The Manor House, Gonalston, Notts. The timber framed, Grade ll Listed Barn had been neglected for many years and the brick infill panels were supporting the eaves beams above rotted posts. The new owners, Mr & Mrs Leese commissioned Martin Hubbard & Associates Ltd. to conserve and provide an activity venue for family and friends. The remaining internal posts have been supported on black painted steels, roof timbers conserved and replaced as necessary and the clay pantiles re-laid over new cast iron gutters on rise and fall brackets. A new oak glazed entrance screen replaces the decayed barn doors and the 16thC building has been saved for another generation.

Bankwood House, Oxton Rd. Southwell, Notts. This new-build home for Mr. & Mrs. Savage by Martin Hubbard & Associates Ltd received permission to demolish a Grade ll Listed Georgian farmhouse on condition that the new house was a ‘positive pastiche’. The house stands on the same footprint as the original and retains the original appearance of the entrance façade whilst enlarged windows on the other elevations express the modern internal layout of the south facing living spaces. The use of natural slate roof and stone detailing was appreciated.

Country Kids Day Nursery, Main St. Kneesall, Newark. This redundant village school building has been brought back to use by the combined efforts of the owners, Kneesall Estate and the Nursery owner, Mrs J. Geldard, with the help of CPD Architects, Southwell. An original three light window has been conserved and the roof repaired. The Nursery is now a thriving part of the community and an improvement to the street scene.

Past winners of the award have been:

1989
Restoration. The Watermill Barn, Linby. Dr. and Mrs. J.L. Hart.
The winners received their award from Councillor J.H. Andrews, Deputy Mayor of Gedling Borough Council.
New. No award.

1990
Restoration. The Old Vicarage, Kinoulton. The Old Vicarage, Granby.
New. No award.

1991
Restoration. Conversion of malt store to dwelling, Frog’s Leap, Church Laneham.
New. Women’s Institute Building, Butt Field, East Bridgford.

1992
Restoration. The Old School, Awsworth.
New. Bungalows, Upton.

1993
Restoration. The Windmill at Tuxford.
New. No award.

1994
Restoration. Derelict farm buildings to The Buttercross Veterinary Centre, Long Acre, Bingham.
New. Elderly persons flats & bungalows, Negus Court, Cromwell Crescent, Lambley.

1995
Restoration. Boughton Village Hall.
New. No award.

1996
Restoration. The Watermill, Ollerton.
New. Cottages, Lexington Court, Laxton.

1997
Restoration. The Windmill, Eakring.
New. Changing Rooms, Boughton and Ollerton.

1998
Restoration. The Stables, Grange Court, Ruddington.
New. No award.

1999
Restoration. The Village Museum, Flintham.
New. The Medical Centre, East Bridgford.

2000
Restoration. Conversion of Farm Buildings to Tea Room/Gift Shop, Bingham Road, Cotgrave.
New. St Michael’s Cottage/Steeple View, Sutton Bonington.

2001
Restoration. The Barns and Farmhouse, Ridge Farm, Elton.
New. No award.

2002
Restoration. 36 Church Street, Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
New. Wheelwrights Barn, Hill Road, Orston.

2003
Restoration. Flora Barn, Main Street, Hoveringham.
New. Rear Extension, Flora Barn, Main Street, Hoveringham.

2004
Restoration. Colston Bassett Store, Colston Bassett.
New. No award.

After 2004 it was decided to run the awards on a biannual basis.

2006
Restoration. Joint Award to Ranter’s Farm, 103 Station Street, Misterton and 62 Castlegate, Newark.
New. No award.

2008
Restoration. The White Cottage, Misson.
New. No award.

2010
Restoration. The Coach House, Orston.
New. Thomas Cranmer Centre, Aslockton.

2012
Restoration. The Old Pumphouse, The Ropewalk, Nottingham.
New. Healy’s Wharf, Newark.

2014
Restoration. Orchard Cottages, Epperstone.
New. The Court, Epperstone.

2016
Restoration. Turncroft Farm, Edingley.
New. Wright’s Place, Keyworth.